In previous articles, we examined the time killers that make us less productive. We also discussed tips and techniques to help improve your focus. Now let’s create an action plan to improve focus and productivity. Research says it takes 4 weeks to develop a new habit.
Let’s break down our plan into four weeks.
- Find out how you are currently spending your time. Productivity apps such as RescueTime will send you a report based on your activity. This will help you identify those time killers. Otherwise, you can just use a note pad.
- Find the screen time usage stats on your phone. See what apps you use the most and how often.
- Clean up your workspace. Organize tasks into folders or notebooks.
- Set your clock to wake up the same time every day.
- Review results from RescueTime or your results from screen time monitored on your phone.
- Start setting some goals. Write down some daily, weekly, monthly and yearly goals.
- Add dates to those goals and put them on your calendar. Try using Google calendar if you don’t have one already.
- Set one goal you want to accomplish over the next 3 weeks.
- Find someone to share those goals with. Accountability is a huge motivator to make sure you accomplish your goals.
- At the end of each workday, make a list of 3-5 things you want to do the next day. Only the most important goals that you need to accomplish.
- Find a helpful project planner notebook or try Asana or other project management apps.
- Practice some self-care. Plan your meals for the week and don’t forget to schedule some time for exercise.
- Review your calendar. Are there items that are essential? Are there things you can take off?
- Time to celebrate! Make sure you reward yourself when you complete the goal you set at week 2.
- Review your RescueTime and your phone usage stats at the end of the week to see how much time you have saved.
Becoming laser focused takes practice and effort. The steps outlined here will help you find ways to help minimize those distractions that may be holding you back from focusing on what is most important. Here are some next steps to take.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to:
- Identify those time killers
- Don’t forget that the best way to be productive is to take care of yourself.
- Clear your workspace of clutter.
- Use some of the productivity apps listed.
- Practice Deep Work techniques that will help you focus.
- Don’t forget to reward yourself!